Fun Exercises Kids & Parents Can Enjoy Together
Moms know: fitting in exercise in their daily routines can be very difficult. Whether you have a baby or an older child, kids demand your attention and energy in different ways.
One simple way to become more active as a mom is to try exercising as a whole family. If you have fitness goals, why not include everyone with them? You'll be teaching your children the importance of a healthy lifestyle and you'll be having fun while you're doing it.
Here are some fun ideas that can help everybody to get moving:
- Run while the kids run beside you or ride their bikes. If you have a baby or toddler, use a jogging stroller.
- Swim at the pool together.
- Create a circuit workout in the driveway or backyard, or inside the house on rainy days. Remember that babies can make great hand weights.
- Family bike ride; pull the smallest kids in a trailer behind you.
- Go to a high school running track and stage races.
- While you're at the track, do bleacher runs.
- Backyard soccer or kickball.
- Backyard wheelbarrow races.
- Backyard relay races; be creative and use frog jumps, bear crawl, etc. for different legs of the race.
- Shoot hoops on the driveway, at the gym or a park.
- Play hopscotch.
- Play freeze tag; when you're frozen, jog or do a boxer shuffle in place.
- Go hiking.
- Do sprint races down your street. Littler kids can help keep score.
- Alternate jumping rope and jumping jacks.
- Have a dance party on a rainy day.
- Play tennis together. It's ideal if you can find courts next to a playground.
- Family yoga, available through some studios or online programs.
- Jump on a trampoline.
- Go for a walk, but alternate skipping and speed walking.
- While you're on that walk, try hopping backwards.
- Create a backyard obstacle course.
- Try walking to go on errands instead of driving.
- Active video games, like "Just Dance" on the Wii.
- Go roller skating in the neighborhood or at a rink (or ice skating).