We’re heading into wedding season and other opportunities for formalwear. One of the questions you should be asking is which shapewear is going to be ideal for your event, your dress and your body type.
We thought it would be helpful to compile some frequently asked questions and recommendations about how to get the most out of your formalwear this season. Here’s everything you need to know, whether you’re going to a wedding, gala, or other formal event where you want to look your best.
Q: What type of shapewear would you recommend to hide a midsection problem area?
Many mothers of the brides/grooms, and others, tell us their problem area is their midsection. We have several styles that will do the trick under your formal attire:
1) Classic Waist Cincher by Amia A102 - One of our most popular styles, this waist trainer instantly slims your waist by 1–4 inches. Using the power of latex and held secure with hook-and-eye closures, you’ll get an instant hourglass effect.
Check out what Carla Snuggs of PoshBeautyBlog has to say about this garment:
"If your goal is a slimmer, firmer waistline, especially in form-fitting or formal attire, a waist cincher is your go to shaper. That coveted hourglass shape is possible with one of Hourglassangel.com's most popular styles: the Amia Classic Cincher waist trainer. Pull it out for special occasions or wear it regularly to look stunning every day. It will instantly slim down and define your waistline, while also enhancing and lifting your bust. With a firm shaping for your whole midsection, it provides an all-over torso makeover under curve hugging dresses."
2) Underbust Waspie Mesh Corset By Hourglass Angel HA201 - This is a powerful and sexy waist-slimming corset that will instantly sculpt your waistline into an hourglass shape. It uses flexible steel boning and a lace-up back for a customizable slimming effect. Another benefit is the mesh bodice that is not only flirty, but also breathable so you can stay cool while you dance the night away.
3) Mia Corselette Bodyshaper by Vedette 136 - If you need extra support for the lower abdomen and hips along with maximum slimming power for your waist, a corselette style shaper is the way to go. You’ll instantly slim up to three sizes smaller. We also love how this shaper looks less like a girdle and more like sexy lingerie.
4) Seamless Firm Control Body Shaper by Ann Chery 4012 - For all-over midsection slimming that will tuck the tummy and smooth out the sides and back, we love this firm control shaper that keeps all of your curves in check.
Q: What are your recommendations on the best shapewear to pair with special occasion dresses?
Strapless or sheer sleeve/neckline gowns: for these styles you’ll want a strapless style shaper. If you have a gown with an A-line waist a lot of fabric or ruching around the hips and thighs, you’ll probably want a bustier or longline bra like the Torsolette Satin & Lace By Dominique 8949. This bridal garment lifts the bust while smoothing the midriff and gently correcting your posture, providing a smooth foundation for your gown.
For a dress that fits your form more through the waist and hips, a shaping slip will offer smoothing and slimming for your whole torso. The Naomi & Nicole Firm Control Bra Slip With Built-In Panty 7777 is a strapless slip with a comfortable hold that provides smoothing from the bust to the thighs. Silicone around the edges ensures that it won’t slip or roll.
Form-fitting bodices: Any dress that hugs around the midsection, tummy, hips, butt and thighs will look best over a smooth foundation. The Best Selling Contour Shaper By Leonisa 018678 is a minimizer bodysuit that tames the tummy, trims the hips and controls the lower abdominal area. A zip-up front closure provides maximum slimming power and a firm hold. At the same time it is breathable, making it a more comfortable option for long events.
For a smooth shaping option from bust to thighs (ideal for longer gowns), the Best Body Shaper By Vedette 104 provides moderate compression with a comfortable, firm hold. It controls the abdomen, mid thighs and back while reducing the waistline. Overall it can slim up to two dress sizes, while remaining invisible under form-fitting dresses including mermaid cut. The open bust lets you pair with your favorite bra, while the adjustable straps ensure a custom fit with lifting and enhancement of the bust.
Lastly, we recommend the Best Shapewear Mid-Thigh Bodysuit By Amia A107 as an all-around versatile shaping option for formalwear, with removable straps. This garment will slim 1–2 inches and provides mid-weight shaping from beneath the bust to mid-thigh.
Here’s what Carla Snugs of PoshBeautyBlog says about it: "This type of garment is designed to provide smoothing so you can look flawless under your sexiest clothes. It provides slimming and shaping for the midsection, hips, butt and thighs. Often your best bet is a bodysuit like the Amia Mid-Thigh Lace Trimmed Bodysuit, which will slim your midsection while helping to emphasize your curves, all with a sexy-smooth finish. This garment provides firm coverage from over your bra line to your thighs. Nothing but smooth from top to bottom!”
Q: What size should women purchase their shapewear in?
When it comes to formal attire, it’s very important that your shapewear fit correctly in order to get the most flattering results.
While it might be tempting to use a smaller size to look your best, we highly recommend that you avoid this! There are several problems with wearing shapewear that is too small. First, it will be very uncomfortable and may pinch you and even restrict your breathing. In fact, you might not be able to get it on at all without damaging the material. And even if you get the garment on, it will not be flattering for your figure. Shapewear that is too small tends to squeeze in the wrong places and you may have a “spillover” effect or a garment that rolls down.
Our collection of shapewear has been carefully curated and tested and will look best if you follow our sizing charts. To get the correct size, take measurements before you order the garment. Measure the fullest part of your bust, the narrowest part of your waist, and the fullest part of your hips. No matter which part you’re measuring, be sure that the measuring tape is level with the ground to get the most accurate number. You should use soft vinyl or fabric measuring tape for the best results. It should lay flat and snug against your body, but it shouldn’t be stretched so tight that you can’t fit a couple of fingers underneath the tape. (See more about sizing help.)
- Once you’ve taken your measurements, be sure to follow the size chart for your specific garment. Just because you wear a particular size dress or jeans does not mean that you will wear the same size in shapewear. Sizes can even vary between shapewear brands.
- If you are in between sizes on the chart, we always recommend that you go with the larger size. Most garments have adjustable straps and other features to help you customize the fit where needed.
- A shaping garment that fits correctly will be snug but not uncomfortable. When trying it on, step into it gently, without hard tugging or pulling. When it is fully fastened and in place, you should love the way you look and achieve an hourglass-like result.
- We recommend ordering your shaping garments well in advance of your formal event. In this way you can ensure not only that the shapewear will fill correctly, but also that you’ll be able to size your formalwear precisely. Brides and bridesmaids should do their final dress fitting while wearing their shapewear so that they can get the best fit possible.
We've got you covered!
No matter what your formal event, we’re confident that you can find exactly what you’re looking for at Hourglass Angel. Beauty blogger Carla Snuggs of PoshBeautyBlog.com says, “My go-to shapewear retailer is Hourglass Angel. Not only because they are effective, they last forever, and they have a wide variety of shapewear styles to meet my needs, but because I love that you have an option to chat with a stylist to find the right shapewear for you.”
When picking out your perfect garment, consider the cut, fabric and color of your dress, as well as your problem areas. Higher compression garments will give you the most dramatic results and provide the most slimming power, while garments with less compression will generally provide all-over smoothing that creates the ideal foundation for formalwear. Be sure to follow our sizing charts, which have been customized for each garment in our shop. You may also found our verified customer reviews of each garment helpful, especially those that are specific about their size and body shape and how the garment helped them.
If you have any more questions about which shaping garments are best for your formal event, contact our team and we’ll be glad to help.